Requirements You May Run Into When Co-Signing For A Bail Bond

If your loved one goes to jail, it is often left to you out in the real world to make arrangements for them to get a bail bond to get out. Pretty much anyone can go to a bail bond agent and co-sign for the loan regardless of how or even if the person is related. As long as you have the funds for a downpayment percentage on the loan, you can become the co-signer with the person who is in jail in order to get the money to get the individual out. However, there may be other requirements involved depending on the state where you live and the bail bond agent services you are working with. 

You may be required to be a certain age. 

Minors are not allowed to co-sign on a loan, and they are not allowed to co-sign on a bail bond loan either. However, the age requirement can also be more than just being 18 years of age. Some agencies will only accept people over 21 years of age or older as a co-signer on a bail bond loan. In general, a certain level of maturity should be present in someone who is making such a commitment. 

You may be required to have a stable income. 

Naturally, anyone who applies for a loan should have a stable income, even if that loan just happens to be a bail bond. A bail bond agent will be far less likely to give a loan to someone who just works odd jobs or does not have a stable income. You may be required to give proof of your income, such as bank statements for the prior few months or pay stubs from your workplace. 

You may be required to show proof of residency. 

Bail bond agents are using their own business money to help get your loved one out of jail, and they are expecting to be paid back in a timely fashion. If you are not a local resident or live too far away, it can make it harder to track you down to collect repayment in the event you and the individual in jail do not repay what you owe. Because of this fact, most bail bond agents will ask that you show proof of residency, which may be something as simple as a utility bill in your name or a copy of a lease agreement.